Sunday, January 30, 2011

What It Takes To Say "No"

Here we go. I've known my whole life that I have a problem telling anyone "no." As a result, I overbook my schedule, wear myself out and then end up not even fulfilling all the commitments that I make. I tend to pride myself on being committed to my obligations, but when there are too many, there is no way to do well at all of them. What I realized in looking at Habit 3, "Put First Things First," is that no matter what, I'm always saying "no" to something. If it's not to the apparent, urgent things in my life, then it's probably to more non-urgent, but still important things like relationships and personal health.

So, there are many "good" things going on that I would love to be a part of. However, based on my priorities, which should be based on my core values and principles, I need to decide which things are "best," not just "good." According to Covey, to be able to say "no," we have to have a bigger "yes!" burning inside. 

I think if I can learn to plan out my week based on my principle-centered priorities, I can discern what is "best" and and in turn, decide what I should say "no" to. I think it's ultimately better to admit up front that you won't be able to be totally committed to something than to try to do it anyway and end up doing it halfheartedly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment